Thursday, July 11, 2013

ECOMP 6019 Cape Cod Blog

July 11, 2013

So I was out for lunch with a friend today at Hole in One (http://theholecapecod.com/) and I mentioned how I have to start a blog. I was looking for suggestions for what I could blog about that would be fun, interesting, and easy to talk about. I didn't want to write an education blog because I will be reading many for this class. Wine? Certainly could be fun, but probably not the most appropriate choice! :) Beaches? How about Cape Cod? Hmm, good idea. I mentioned it to my daughter when I got home and her first thought was Cape Cod, too. So there we have it! I shall blog about the Cape, which has been my home since 1990.

My favorite part of the Cape would be the beautiful beaches. I prefer them during the off-season when they are not so busy. I live in Brewster, so the beaches that are available to me on my beach pass are the bay beaches off 6A. They are perfect for children because of the calm water and wonderful opportunities to explore the tidal flats at low tide. I took my children to Crosby Beach for years to swim in the shallow, calm, warmer water and to find hermit crabs, horseshoe crabs, moonsnails, and to collect shells. This is the view of Crosby (just the other night!) as you walk from the parking lot. Simply gorgeous and soothing to the soul as soon as your feet touch the sand.


\
If you are looking to explore the bay beaches, or even the ponds in Brewster, I am attaching the link for the Chamber of Commerce's site of Brewster beaches. There is a map and it includes information on parking and fees.
 
 
Being a teacher in Brewster, I get to take my students to these lovely beaches for field trips! We are so lucky that they are right down the street. I know I take living here for granted and don't take advantage of all the Cape has to offer. I'm thinking this blog will be a chance for me to explore even more...to have my own little field trips, to appreciate the Cape's beauty a bit more and share it  with you.


8 comments:

  1. Kathy, I love that you decided to Blog about your home on Cape Cod. I don't know anything about it, and I'm excited that you are going to share. I can't believe you get to take your students to the beaches for field trips! Do they feel like the field trip is not that "cool" because they are going so close to home? Can't wait to read more about the Cape and by the end of the course I'm sure it's going to be a place I can't wait to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali. The kids always love the beach. It doesn't matter that they've been over and over. They still get excited about finding hermit crabs and building them a castle and having hermit crab races! They are still thrilled to collect as many items as they can on the scavenger hunt, despite the fact that they've probably seen everything before! It is pretty special.

      Delete
  2. As a life-long Nebraskan, which is about as far from a real beach as you can get, I have a couple of questions - When is the off season for Cape Cod? anytime outside of the memorial day to labor day window? Also, you mentioned a beach pass based on where you live. How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne. You have the window...Memorial Day to Labor Day. Officially, we don't need a beach sticker until June 15, though. The way it works is that each town has a beach sticker that allows you to frequent the beaches or ponds in that town. Brewster is on the bay side, so if we want ocean and waves, we'd need to go to another town (where we would pay 10 or 15 dollars for the day!). That is one my biggest hang-ups in the summer...we live on the Cape, but don't have the freedom to go to any of our beaches under one pass.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this topic. This blog is of great VALUE (see what I did there?) to me because I have never been on the East Coast and have longed to go ever since I realized there was an ocean other than the Pacific. I would love to know about all the beaches, restaurants, and places to stay in Cape Cod.

    I have to say though, I would love to read a blog about wine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to mention some great restaurants, too. I need to get out with my camera and get some shots this week. Perhaps I can take a little trip to Truro Vineyards and still blog about wine!! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the Cape and I love beaches so you are covering two of my favorite topics! I grew up near the Cape, in the south shore, and I completely understand your love of it! It is so relaxing and calming. I am excited to continue to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's anything you miss that you want me to take a picture of, let me know!! I'd be happy to include :)

      Delete